A blog devoted to law, politics, philosophy, & life. Nothing in this blog is to be construed as legal advice.

Sunday, February 01, 2004

Poisoned well? Or frivolous lawyer gets cat scratch fever?

CrimLaw discusses the cat-scratch case, where a plaintiff sued for 1.5 million dollars because a cat scratched his guide dog.

The losing lawyer unhappily said:

"After that first juror (in jury selection) said the word 'frivolous,' and so did the next five, I thought the whole panel should have been thrown out. I truly think the well got poisoned right there."

This shows me that the plaintiff's lawyer wasn't any good. One of the best things that can happen in jury selection is to get the jurors hostile to your case, talking. Perhaps this lawyer should attend the Trial Lawyers College to find out why.

UPDATE: CrimLaw rightly informed me that the plaintiff proceeded pro se. Thank you.

Working on this blog, if nothing else, has provided me a deep sense of empathy. I won't so quickly assume that those who don't get the facts right are motivated by an intent to deceive.

Followers